Targeting Ad Sources
Oath Ad Platforms SSP brings in higher revenue because our targeting allows efficient monetization of campaigns and selection of ad sources that are most closely aligned to your business requirements and inventory.
Targeting unique ad sources can optimize the sale of your inventory using several settable parameters. You define your traffic and price it according to any combination of: countries, regions, localities; operating system and device characteristics, and network connectivity, etc. Targeting is all about merchandising and managing the inventory, not the ads.
When creating an ad source with SSP, you can select the price point at which inventory should be sold on our platform. Our algorithm automatically matches the best ad source to your available inventory. No more fussing with ranking, prioritizing, countries, regions, demographics and the like; we take care of all that for you.
Ad Source Tiers
Tiers determine the order in which ad sources are called. In order to allow the algorithm to work most efficiently, we recommend that you deploy all of your ad sources into a single tier, unless your business rules dictate otherwise. Below are some examples of when business rules might indicate multiple tiers
- You have a House Campaign running and want to serve House ads when no paid impression is available to run. In this scenario, deploy the Ad Server ad source into your lowest tier.
- You have a private ad source set up with a DSP (and have a direct agreement) to send them first look inventory. In this scenario, deploy this private ad source to the highest priority tier, and all other monetizing ad sources to tier 2.
Best practice: If you elect to target particular ad sources against characteristics that do not include your entire user base, we recommend making a reciprocally targeted ad source. That second ad source would either block the targets that were selected in the original ad source or allow what was not targeted in the original source. Keep in mind that different targeting decisions may change the value our DSPs place on your inventory, so be sure to adjust the floor price (raise or lower) to find a suitable fill rate for each ad source.
Each country may have a different campaign pool, or you may want to target a group of countries, (region, continent, local area). In cases like this, set up at least two Oath Ad Platforms ad sources; one for your major markets and one for the rest of the world.
Here is an example:
- Tier 1 = Allow North America and Western Europe
- Tier 2 = Block North America and Western Europe
The final results look like this in the campaign dashboard.
This targeting method lets you assign a higher price point with more economically developed markets to improve overall revenue potential.
Helpful Hints for Geographic Targeting
- If your audience is mainly within North America (United States, Canada, and/or Mexico), there is no need to create separate ad sources.
- If the majority of your inventory lives outside the North America, create three tiers of ad sources. Tier 1 containing the North American ad source, Tier 2 containing ad sources unique to where the majority of your inventory lives, and Tier 3 that Blocks all countries in the Tier 1 and Tier 2 ad sources.
Targeting by OPERATING SYSTEM & DEVICE
If your monetization strategy tracks delivery by operating system and/or device model. You can assign ad sources to particular Android or iOS versions, as well as their corresponding device models. For example, if you are interested in breaking out iOS 10 users utilizing your app from an iPad, then select these options from the drop downs when developing the campaign.
Targeting by CONNECTION PROVIDER (WiFi and Internet Carriers)
Although uncommon, you have the ability to operate an ad source with traffic that is Wifi only, Carrier only, or Wifi and Carrier. The default option: Wifi and Carrier, is strongly encouraged so the number of users who participate is not restricted.
If you elect to target particular ad sources against characteristics that do not include your entire user base, we recommend making a reciprocally targeted ad source. In other words, an ad source that either blocks the targets selected in the original ad source or allows what was not targeted in the original source. Keep in mind that different targeting decisions may change the value our buyers place on your inventory, so be sure to adjust the floor price (raise or lower) to find a suitable fill rate for each ad source.