Best Practices for Oath Ad Platforms SSP
A collection of the best ways to drive the most value from your impressions and MAXIMIZE REVENUE.
Use the best practices below to leverage the tools Oath offers and make the most of your ad campaigns.
- Downstream Ad Networks
- Recommended Inventory Targeting
- Managing Ad Source Pricing and Tiering
- Protecting Your Brand
- Engaging the Right Audience
Down Stream Ad Networks
We support both SDK and server-side integrations.
Recommended Inventory Targeting
Geo (graphic) Targeting
We recommend targeting your Oath Ad Platforms SSP ad sources by country or region. Price your inventory according to what the market will support. Accurately priced inventory always yields maximum revenue.
Is your audience global? We strongly recommend creating two Marketplace ad sources: one for major markets and the other for the rest of the world.
- Allow USA, Canada, Western Europe, and Oceania
- Block USA, Canada, Western Europe, and Oceania
This type of targeting allows for the setting of higher floor prices for the more developed markets, and lower floor prices for the less developed markets. When all of your users are in the same geographic area there is no need for this type of targeting. If your inventory is primarily International, you may want to target more specific geographic areas such as locality, language, etc. in addition to geography.
Ad Type Targeting
Our interstitial placements can run any of the following: video ad units only, static ad units only, or video AND static ad units.
For Ad Placements running Video AND Static ad units we recommend creating two separate tags, as detailed below, to maximize fill and revenue.
- Tag 1 - inherit the creative attributes of the placement, running Video and Static ad units - price this tag at your Video price point.
- Tag 2 - override the creative attributes of the placement, running ONLY Static ad units - price this tag at a lower, Static price point.
Price Floor Breakouts
Marketplace fill is set at a guaranteed price floor. Ad Networks can sell the impression at whatever rate the daily economy will bare. We recommend that every Ad Network added be tied to a Marketplace Ad Source to so it can directly compete in the same tier with the Ad Network.
Ad Source Management
Ad Source Pricing
- Define Reasonable Floors - We recommend defining reasonable floors to maximize RPM rather than focusing only on eCPM. If the floor rate is too high, bids that come in below the floor are lost causing buyers inventory to go unmonetized. Therefore, if you see little to no fill for a specific ad source we recommend lowering your price floor to allow more ads to return and monetize.
- Price for the Market - We recommend evaluating geographic area and ad unit type when defining pricing. Assign higher floor prices to Video and Rich Media units in major markets and lower prices for standard banners and/or static interstitials in developing markets.
SSP's algorithm has been developed and honed over several years to dynamically maximize your Revenue.
Ad Source Tiering
In order to allow our algorithm to work most efficiently, we recommend deploying all ad sources into a single tier, unless your business rules dictate otherwise. Some examples of business rules dictating multiple tiers are:
- A House Campaign is running and House ads should only be served when there is no paid impression to run. In this scenario, deploy the Ad Server Tag into your very last tier.
- A private deal was set up and there is a direct agreement with that buyer to send them first look inventory. In this scenario, deploy this private ad source to tier 1, and all other monetizing ad sources to tier 2.
Protecting Your Brand
We understand that brand safety is an important element of a successful mobile business. Our platform enables you to easily and efficiently block ads at both the category and domain level.
- We recommend setting up the most lenient list of Ad Category (defined by the IAB) and Domain blocks in the Marketplace Tab.
- Keep in mind that extending category and domain blocks limits the number of campaigns that are eligible to run on your inventory. This has an adverse impact on fill rate and may, therefore, decrease your potential revenue performance.
- While it is possible to block groups of buyers within SSP, it is strongly recommended that you do not. Individual blocks can be managed through domain blocks or the ad screening tool.
Engaging the Right Audience
We understand that engagement improves when ads served are relevant to consumers. The Oath SDK delivers superior eCPMs and end-user experiences.
- Connect to a full suite of products that maximizes the revenue stream and puts you in the driver’s seat
- Providing access to high-value ad units and unique proprietary creative formats
- Enriching the value of ads served by leveraging any information that your users share
The Verizon Media SDK provides the newest features we offer, including support for VPAID 2.0, MOAT Viewability, landscape and portrait video support, and many other capabilities. Keeping the SDK up to date lets you take advantage of the newest features and releases, as well as the latest bug fixes.
To learn how to better optimize ad placements, check out our Recommended Settings for Ad Placement document.